Recipes

Recipes to share and make at home.

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Oatmeal Cranberry Scones (makes 12 scones)

I love this recipe it's so spring-y! Sometimes I get a little creative and add orange rind to the dough to give it a fresher flavor. This is a fairly simple recipe and I find that the kneading helps me relax. In any case the recipe is a winner with my friends, family, and former students.



preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl:
1 3/4 c unbleached flour (unbleached gives extra flavor, color. any all purpose flour works)
1 1/2 t baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/3 c granulated sugar


Cut up 3/4 c (1 1/2 sticks) cold, unsalted butter in small pieces, about 1/4-inch cubes. Incorporate the butter into your dry ingredients until the mixture has the texture of coarse cornmeal.


Add to the mixture:
1 1/3 c old fashioned oats
1/2 c dried cranberries (add the orange peel here)
1/2 c buttermilk

Mix the ingredients (not too much or you'll crush the oats) until it's all wet. Then turn the bowl onto a lightly floured board and knead the dough until all the ingredients are incorporated and it has a fairly homogeneous consistancy.

This end part I leave to your own creative talents. I usually take bits of dough and roll them into 3-inch balls (slightly flattened) evenly spaced on a cookie sheet. You can also roll the dough into a round about 1-inch thick and cut into 8 wedges. I also like to make mini scones like cookie sized and bakes.

However you do it, place them in your oven and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly golden.

Enjoy and tell me how you like them.

2 Comments:

Blogger JumpinJellieBean said...

Hey, are these the ones that you made and gave to me when we met up in Hollywood?

7:58 AM  
Blogger SKLT said...

oh yes, these are also perfect for care packages. they travel well without getting hard.

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home